Prime Day 2020 has historically been a massive success on Amazon, and Prime Day 2021 is shaping up to be no different. Last year, Prime members saw savings of $1.4 billion, and third-party sellers made over $3.5 billion, making Prime Day 2021 the biggest eCommerce event on the planet.
With such a high volume in sales and large amounts of traffic flowing to Amazon during the Prime Day event, it’s important to be on top of submissions for Amazon deals and offers. While Prime Day last year ended up being at the beginning of Q4, it is typically a summer event. The 2021 event looks to be back in the usual time slot, according to Seller Central, the Prime Day inbound shipping deadline is June 6.
Amazon has opened up submission requests for Prime Day 2021 Lightning Deals for vendors and sellers. Here's what you need to know when it comes to applying for them and how to maximise your Prime Day opportunities.
What is an Amazon Lightning Deal?
A Lightning Deal is a promotion in which a limited number of discounts are offered on an item for a short period. This deal type is an option for both vendors and sellers. Typically the deal is available for a 4-12 hour block, or until the set number of deals are claimed. This is great for increasing conversion due to scarcity by showcasing a limited amount of time that the deal will be active.
When a Lightning Deal is available, here's what you'll see:
- The item featured in the deal.
- Any available variations of the item (for example, different sizes or colours).
- The promotional discount amount and the final price (not including tax).
- A status bar showing the percentage of deals already claimed.
- A timer showing how long you have to add the item to your cart and claim the promotional discount.
- An "Add to Cart" button, if there are available promotional discounts.
When can I apply for a Lightning Deal?
The Prime Day 2021 submissions window opened on March 8 and will be open until April 16. How do I submit a Lightning Deal for consideration on Prime Day?
Submitting a Prime Day deal is done through your Seller Central account:
- Go to the Advertising Tab > Deals.
- In the top right-hand corner click "Create New Deal."
- From the 3 eligible product types click "Lightning Deals."
- Select the ASIN or product that you would like to submit for a Lightning Deal.
- On the Schedule Deal page select "Prime Day Window."
- Follow through the rest of the deal wizard to submit your deal.
How do I accept a Prime Day Lightning Deal submission?
If Amazon has suggested a Lightning Deal promotion for your items, you can accept this suggestion via your selling account in Seller Central or Vendor Central.
- Go to the Advertising Tab > Deals.
- Review and accept your deal offers. Take note that you may be able to amend your recommendations before accepting them.
How much are the fees for Prime Day Lightning Deals?
The fees for Prime Day Lightning deals vary depending on which day your Lightning Deal is live.
- $300/deal – If your deal runs during Prime Day week but NOT on Prime Day.
- $500/deal – If your deal runs on Prime Day only.
If your Lightning Deal does not go live, you will not be charged a deal fee.
What are the prerequisites for Prime Day Lightning Deals?
Your eligible ASINs will appear when you set up your deal under the ‘Eligible ASINs’ section. In order for them to be eligible, they will need to meet the following criteria.
- Products must have at least a 3-star rating.
- A restricted product such as e-cigarettes, alcohol, adult products, medical devices, medicines, and baby formula are not eligible. For a full list of restricted products click this link when you're logged into your Seller Central account.
- Products must be Prime-eligible in all states.
- Items must be in "New" condition
- Seller Rating: You must have a Seller Rating of at least 3.5 stars and receive a minimum of 5 ratings per month.
- Products with a high return rate will not be eligible for Prime Day Lightning Deals.
Need more help?
Learn more about Amazon deal types on our blog. If you have any additional questions about Prime Day Lightning Deals, or Amazon in general, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via our contact page and we would be happy to help!